Illness changed 'Enders role

Joe Swash has blamed his spell off work with meningitis for turning his EastEnders character Mickey Miller into "the joker".

"My illness had a massive impact on my job," said Swash, who spent six weeks in hospital in 2005. "When I came back I couldn’t find my feet. New producers came in and brought in new actors and I got lost down the pecking order.

"Mickey just became light relief – the joker. That’s all right but I’ve got more ambition. I would have stayed for ages if I had good stuff, but I wasn’t getting the work."

Swash, who also suffered from encephalitis, or swelling of the brain, recalled the seriousness of his situation in an interview with The Sun.

"My mum was told to prepare for the worst," he said. "The doctors said they weren’t sure I would pull through. It was so scary. Before, I thought I could do all this mad stuff. But it made me realise life is fragile."

Source digital spy

Comments

Popular Posts