Westbrook: 'I wanted EastEnders closure'

Danniella Westbrook has said that she returned to EastEnders for closure on the role she first played in 1990.

The actress was replaced as Samantha Mitchell by Kim Medcalf in 2002, but Westbrook returned to reprise the character once again this year, with her last episode airing tonight on BBC One.

Westbrook told The Mirror: "It's where I feel I belong. For me EastEnders was unfinished business. It was great to be asked back - I wanted closure.

"They've never recast a character, then invited back the original actress. I've had so much fun and the cast are a great bunch."

Of the criticism she received when returning to the soap, Westbrook continued: "I think they expected me to come back looking like I did when I was in my 20s.

"They've said I look old and called me the Bride of Chucky - I've even been compared to a burns victim. But, you know what, I don't care."

She added: "People will say things about you, but as an actor you have to develop a thick skin. You can't worry about it all. I'm 36 and I've been through a lot. I'm nine years clean and sober and that's what counts.

"Sam is meant to look tanned and brassy. I don't go to Tesco with curlers in my hair, false eyelashes and a Dynasty hairdo! It just doesn't happen. But I think Sam looks awesome - that's part of her character."

Source - Digital Spy

Comments

Popular Posts