Cast didn't expect EastEnders to last

One of the original stars of BBC One's 'Eastenders' said the cast did not expect the soap to last.

Gillian Taylforth, who played Kathy Beale on the soap, made the revelation as the drama prepares to celebrate twenty five years on television this Friday. The killer of Archie Mitchell will be revealed in a special live episode.

Speaking in the Sunday Mirror Taylforth said the cast initially had contracts for just six months as expectations for the success of the show were low.

She said "I remember sitting in the green room chatting to Letitia Dean, who played Sharon Watts, and Anita Dobson, who played Angie Watts, about what we would do once it was over.

"Letitia said she was going back to dancing and Anita said she'd go back to theatre. I'd been working as a secretary and I was a bit annoyed that I'd find it difficult to get back into it because I'd lost my 90 word-per-minute typing speed!"

The then 27-year-old Beale was training part-time to be an actress when she won the role. She stayed with the programme until 1998.

She said "When I got the part I phoned my mum and dad and said, 'I've got some great news'. I turned up with a bottle of champagne and said, 'I'm going to be in this new show called East-Enders'. My mum and dad's faces dropped. My mum said, 'Oh we thought you had some good news. That you were engaged or something'".

Source - RTE

Comments

Popular Posts