Barbara Windsor: I'm posh at last

Barbara Windsor said she was "honoured" to receive the Freedom of the City of London - because it means she is finally posh.

The former EastEnders actress was awarded the honour in London's Guildhall, and showed off her certificate in the rainy courtyard.

She said: "I can't believe it. I thought you had to be very posh.

"I am a true, true Londoner. I love London with a passion and I'm just so honoured. Why me?"

She added: "I'm in a job I absolutely love and I feel so important today. I just wish my mother was here because she always wanted me to be posh. I'd say 'look Mum, at last I'm posh'."

The 72-year-old said she hoped new developments would not ruin the city's identity.

"I come from the city which is magnificent and then you see these horrific buildings that didn't take much thought to do - I agree with Prince Charles on that, absolutely.

"But I just love London. Look at it, it's fantastic, it's the best. Please, please don't ruin it. Please keep our identity, it's so important."

Last month Barbara filmed her final scenes as Albert Square's Peggy Mitchell after almost 16 years on the show. Asked what's next for her, she said: "I've only just left EastEnders so we'll see."

But she said she did not have dreams left to fulfil, adding: "I've done most of it, haven't I?"

Source - MSN

Comments

Winona said…
Good on ya Barbara!
You've accomplished much throughout your career, and I for one will miss you in E.E.
Somehow, although there are many characters in Walford, the Square will not seem quite the same without you making an appearance.
Barbara love, I wish you'd wear your "Peggy" wig though, so much more flattering to your face and frame than the heavy 'bangs & bun' you're always seen publicly in.

Popular Posts