Sam: Filming cot death 'horrific'

EastEnders star Samantha Womack has spoken out about filming the soap's cot death tragedy, saying: "It's been the most horrific four weeks of my life."

The actress plays Ronnie Branning, who loses one-day-old son James, before secretly swapping him with Kat Moon's newborn Tommy in an impulsive moment of shock and confusion.

She told Inside Soap magazine: "I couldn't stop crying when we were filming the scenes where Ronnie finds her dead baby.

"I couldn't switch off when I returned home each day. What Ronnie has been through is such a crushingly awful thing to even pretend might happen to you. I actually felt ill having to portray it.

"We used an expensive silicone doll, and it was so lifelike it upset a lot of people on set. We had to stop and take a break because it was too much."

Samantha said she worried about how viewers will react to the heart-rending story, which airs on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day.

"I love EastEnders and the fans enjoy it because it's hardcore and bleak and times. But I also worry because it's such a traumatic storyline.

"New Year can be a difficult time for some people, so I really hope it is taken in the the spirit in which it's intended - which is about producing dramatic television."

Shane Richie, who plays Alfie Moon, said the story prompted him to keep checking on his two-year-old daughter Lolita.

"In all my years of playing Alfie, I've never brought my work home with me but now I have," he said.

Source - MSN

Comments

Anonymous said…
I cannot watch it over hte next few weeks. I have never had a child but I think it is an awful story line and very sensitive. It may have raised awareness to some viewers but I think it will make he nation over think now.

I had to turn the tv off as it upset me too much to watch- I can't bear the tension on the show at the moment.
Anonymous said…
Please don't leave the show samantha you don't no how much you have helped me over the last three years you have helped me fight so many demons from my past. I watch eastenders every day and your are the best actress on there please if your reading this don't leave

Popular Posts