Samantha: 'Things are about to get much darker for Ronnie'

EastEnders' Samantha Womack has explained what tempted her back to play Ronnie Mitchell again, and why she thinks the soap is about to get much better.

Samantha left Walford in 2011 after her tragic baby swap storyline, but returned recently when her character Ronnie was let out of prison.

She said: "Being back, it's wonderful. I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I do. When there's something you've walked away from, in retrospect you think, 'Oh, I'm not going to go back there, I've done that,' and then my brain started ticking over. I really missed the character first and foremost, she was a really real character to me in my head.

"When you get older you cry at everything, but I do genuinely love Rita Simons who plays my sister, Roxy. We started together and it's like an old family friend, once you're in a room together, you've heard the same stories, you've been to the same places, so you work really well together. As sisters it's believable, I believe she's my sister."

The actress admitted she felt her character had been 'treading water' for a while since her return, but that things were about to get 'much darker'.

She said: "I'm majorly excited about Dom Treadwell Collins coming in as exec [producer] because I think he's controversial and I think he cares about the characters. I think he's not just going to be plot driven."

On Danny Dyer's recent casting, she commented: "It's a very bold move by Dom, it's exactly what they should be doing. He's a massive character and on screen he's really charismatic, so I'm really excited to see what he's going to do. I think he's going to be absolutely amazing."

Samantha said she was pleased to see Ronnie struggling to adjust after her time in prison.

"I don't think that she should come back unchanged. With a lot of soaps I know that you have these huge storylines and you come back to being normal, but she's been through so much that it would be weird if she carried on walking around as a normal person. So she needs to make some transition, and it would probably be to become someone who's a bit more closed-off and controlling."

Comments

Popular Posts