Danny Dyer: EastEnders 'has been a struggle, I aint gonna lie'

Danny Dyer has admitted he has had to adapt to being part of a 'family show' after joining EastEnders.

The hardman actor who made his debut as Mick Carter, the new owner of The Queen Vic pub, on Christmas Day – confessed his first few months working on the soap have not been easy.

Danny told the BBC show's official website: "I'm doing really well at the moment. It has only been two months, but it is a struggle. I ain't going to lie.

"I've always been real and true to myself and I think people respect that, but I totally get that I'm on a family show so you've got to act a bit friendly."

The 36-year-old actor revealed EastEnders producer Dominic Treadwell-Collins persuaded him to join the show by offering him a role which was unlike the gangster characters he has played so often in the past.

He explained: "The idea of EastEnders and the call at first I just wasn't that interested. I just thought it was going to be obvious. They've approached me before.

"It's always been the gangster, the villain and I just thought I'm not really interested in that, but when I met Dom, within two minutes I just fell in love with him, he's just got this amazing energy.

"When he explained to me the role about taking over the Vic and coming in with a family, playing the alpha male, but not in an obvious way it was all my dreams come true really."

And even if not all EastEnders fans take a shine to him, Danny is hoping to provoke a reaction.

He said: "I'm totally going to be surprising people. I think there's been a lot of build-up, but they're not going to know what to expect. I've got a persona and a bit of baggage that comes with the name Danny Dyer.

"I think I divide people completely down the middle. I'm either a legend or a joke and that's the reality of it. I get that! At the end of the day I'm just an actor and I do what I do and either you buzz off what I do or you despise it.

"At least I'm raising some sort of debate."

Comments

Popular Posts